Donation Link

Monday, April 21, 2014

About Me:
My name is Bryn.  I am a lover of nature and people.  I am happy, adventurous, independent, a world traveler, and I am a diabetic.  I have been a Type 1 Diabetic for over 20 years and can no longer feel my high and low blood sugars. I currently work as a guidance counselor at a high school where I am constantly on the go. 

I recently had an experience at school, in front of co-workers and students, which was a frightening reminder for everyone of the importance of being readily aware of diabetes.  As a result of this experience, I am hesitant to be alone; when I drive, when I hike, when I run, when I sleep, etc.  As a result, I began researching Diabetic Alert Dogs on the web and discovered the Diabetic Alert Dogs of America page.  I have found this to be the most appropriate and safe option for my condition.  

What a service dog for diabetics does:
Diabetic Alert Dogs are trained to alert diabetic owners in advance of low (hypoglycemia) or high (hyperglycemia) blood sugar events before they become life threatening, so their owners can take steps to return their blood sugar to normal, such as using glucose sweets or taking insulin.  A Diabetic Alert Dog is specifically trained to react to the chemical change produced by blood sugar highs and lows. Diabetic Alert Dogs can provide emotional security and a sense of balance for individuals and for those who have loved ones with diabetes. They can help diabetics, such as me, lead a more confident, and independent lifestyle. 

The Training Strategy:
A positive and loving environment is a key to the successful dog training program. All of the dogs are trained in a family environment, where children of all ages interact with them daily. This adds another dimension to the dog’s preparedness to transition into any home environment.

The training is different for each dog because they individually structure the training to compliment the specific temperament and personality of the dog and its future diabetic owner. It has to fit not only the dog, but the capabilities and sensitivities of the handler as well. The best training method enhances communication between dog and person, it teaches without causing pain, fear, or confusion, by breaking down each skill into small steps and build on each success. Knowing when to stop, back up, and make things easier produces faster results than trying to push a dog. They believe a stressed dog is not learning. Just like with humans, making learning fun and rewarding allows for a greater level of learning ...and retention!

Fundraising:
The only concern in getting a trained dog is the financial burden.  As a Type 1 Diabetic, the costs already strain my education salary.  The service training for a dog like this, at this time of my life, is beyond my financial abilities.  I am hoping that through this fundraiser I will be able to afford a trained dog that will assist me in living a long, full and active lifestyle.  Any amount will help and I will be forever grateful!  I have set up Paypal account to help with the fundraising.  Click on the link to donate directly. 
To check out the company that will be training my dog, visit 
If you wish, people you can make donations to the company directly on behalf of me. Any donations received (with me as a beneficiary) of course will 100% go towards the dog. You can pay with credit card from the “Payments” tab located on the bottom right hand corner of the website or by sending a check to the business mailing address at 3651 Lindell Road Suite D Las Vegas, Nevada 89103.  
Again, the website to do this is:
http://www.diabeticalertdogsofamerica.com/
I am forever in your debt!

No comments:

Post a Comment